In this case study, a biotechnology company engaged CPL Business Consultants to find commercialisation partners for a cholesterol-reducing ingredient. Through its extensive networks, CPL facilitated a strategic partnership to develop this nutraceutical product.
The client had isolated a saponin component from its plant bioreactor platform, which had cholesterol-lowering properties in humans. The client asked CPL to implement a go-to-market strategy from a previous engagement.
CPL identified potential partners to help develop a cholesterol-reducing nutraceutical ingredient for food and dietary supplements. The client sought a technically minded company with established sales and marketing, with the experience and resources required for process optimisation, clinical trials, formulation trials, product registration and regulatory approval.
Initially, CPL developed a Teaser based on the work and IP position to date. The Teaser described the opportunity available in broad terms, including information on product utility, the desired outcome and the characteristics sought in a partner.
Next, through its knowledge of the food ingredients and dietary supplement industries, CPL made suitable companies aware of the opportunity. CPL then contacted target companies and talked through the opportunity and its technical, clinical and commercial validity. Contacts included meetings set up at industry events, for example, in the USA and Europe.
CPL then supplied the Information Memorandum to interested companies. The IM contained further information about the product, the clinical results and the market potential. As required, CPL talked through the IM with companies prior to meetings and discussions with the client.
CPL recommended which partners and business arrangements would suit the client’s strategic goals i.e. a best-fit approach.
Click to see the contents of the study, or otherwise, look below for an outline.
Cholesterol-Reducing Ingredient Partners
- Objective & Background
- Principal Findings
- Market Values and Volumes
- Market Strategy
- Competing Products
- Assumptions Made About the Product
- Patent Applications
- Key Success Factors
- Barriers to Entry
Market for Cholesterol-lowering Products
- Synopsis of Cholesterol-Reducing Ingredient Market
Potential Partner Profiles and Contact Reports
- Contacts Summary
- >70 Contact Reports
- Dietary Supplement Companies
- Flavour & Colour Suppliers
- Food Ingredients Companies
- Other Potential Investors
Cholesterol-reducing Ingredient – Teaser
- Client Profile and Objectives
- The Cholesterol-reducing Ingredient Product
- Market for Cholesterol-lowering Ingredients
- Opportunity for the Partner
Information Memorandum – Cholesterol-reducing Ingredient
- The Idea
- Introduction and background
- The Company
- The Cholesterol-lowering Ingredient Project
- Investor Considerations and Business Opportunity
- Market description
- Saponin Background and Rationale
- Botanicals Source of Saponins
- Conventional Crude Preparations
- Saponin Glycosides
- Pilot Scale Production / Fractionation
- Saponin Extraction And Purification
- Efficacy Testing in Animal trials e.g.:
- Experimental Designs
- Yield Data
- Cholesterol-reducing Efficacy
- Food Applications
- Further Information
- Genotypes Implicated in Dietary Plasma Cholesterol Reduction
- Context of Extract under CFR Title 21-Food and Drugs
- US Dietary Ingredient Status “NDI”
- The SIDI (Standardized Information on Dietary Ingredients ) Protocol
- Trade News on Markets and Trends
In addition to this project on cholesterol-reducing ingredient partners, CPL has, for example, also worked on saponins from alfalfa and partners for a glycaemic index lowing product. ou can find further examples using the search bar on this page or by browsing by areas of expertise. Have a look at our PowerPoint Introduction and Brochure describing deliverables, differentiators and case studies. You can also review eight case studies.