In this case study, an animal health and nutrition company engaged CPL Business Consultants to determine the market opportunity for probiotics for animal feed. CPL advised the client on the technical and scientific aspects of probiotics and also commercial and strategic considerations, including the routes to market.
The client is now a leading player in this field and animal health and nutrition generally.
The client was a well-known technically-based company which sold products such as enzymes for animal feed, which had to protect its reputation. The technical objectives of this project were to collect and assess the scientific evidence about probiotics in order to determine what is known and what can be validly claimed about probiotics. Commercially, the objectives of this project were to collect and assess information about the products currently available and about the companies that make them.
The scope of this project is products containing live microorganisms used in animal feed, as well as those products containing microbial products marketed as probiotics e.g. yeast cell walls. The sector is agricultural animal husbandry, mainly pigs and chickens, but also other animals as appropriate. The geographic scope of the project is the EU and US/Canada.
You can click here for a PDF of the contents of the study or look below for an outline.
Probiotics Market Opportunities in Animal Feed
- Principal Findings
Description of Probiotics
- Microorganism Types
- Physiological Effects & Influential Factors
Market and Trends
- Global Feed Additives Markets
- Global Compound Feed Markets
- Poultry Markets
- US & Canada
- Pig Markets
- EU & UK
- 20 Probiotic Manufacturers
Uses of Probiotics In Animal Feed
Alternative Antibiotic Replacers
- Anti-bacterials e.g.
- Chemical Probiosis
- Prefermentation and Inoculation
- Zeolites and Clay Minerals
Scientific Validity of Probiotics
- The Biological Basis of Probiotics
- Probiotic Claims Validity
- Probiotics Available
- Strain Selection
- Image of Probiotics
- Ongoing Research
- Future Developments
Other Scientific Probiotic Information
- Scientific Abstracts
- Other Scientific References
Probiotic Research Institutes/Projects
- US Funded Projects in Probiotic use in Animal Feed
- European Funded Projects in probiotic use in animal feed
Regulatory Issues & Claims
- EU and UK
12 Academic/Commercial Researchers
- 16 Probiotic Manufacturers (Human/Animal)
- 6 Probiotic Distributors/Blenders/Feed Ingredient Manufacturers
- 6 Probiotic Users/Potential Users
- 7 Animal Feed Associations
- Others (Consultants, Encapsulators)
CPL has also worked on botanicals, prebiotics and other probiotics-related projects such as benchmarking feed additive ingredients. You can also use the search bar on this page to find other relevant reports. Have a look at our PowerPoint Introduction and Brochure describing deliverables, differentiators and case studies. Eight case studies can also be reviewed.