The objective of the project was to support a global company with technical information on the performance and value proposition of probiotics for animal health and nutrition.
The client was interested in gaining an understanding of the major groups of organisms which dominate the market for probiotics including their modes of actions and the specific attributes which account for their success in the market.
The report included a technical evaluation for probiotics used for the following monogastric animals:
- Companion animals
Initially commercial probiotic species and strains were tabulated by lifestage and species of target animal.
The following information was provided on probiotics.
- Phylogeny of Probiotic Species
- Main Species Characteristics
- Probiotic products used by species and life-stage
- General Modes of Action for Probiotics
- Probiotic Benchmarking Tests Used
- Probiotic Strain Selection Criteria
Benchmarking comparisons of the major groups of commercial probiotic products (by species/strain) were made based on:
- Dose and Viability in Use
- Pelleting Temperatures
- Drying and Formulation
- Storage and Shelf-Life
- Safety and Compatibility
- Mode of Action
- Performance and Efficacy
- Value Proposition, Pricing and Cost in Use