In this case study, CPL Business Consultants assisted a player in wood and biomass-based products who was considering entering the market for cellulose products.
CPL presented an overview of the cellulose market in a workshop with its board and other stakeholders and also answered questions and discussed options as part of its strategic planning process. The client gained some useful initial insights through this process and then engaged CPL for further work in specific areas.
Cellulose and its derivatives include powdered cellulose, microcrystalline cellulose (MCC), nanocrystalline cellulose (NCC), as well as cellulose ethers, including carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC), hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose (HPMC) and methyl cellulose (MC). This presentation covered applications in foods and beverages and also non-food applications such as petfood, textiles, coatings, pharmaceuticals and cosmetics. Additionally, strategies employed and market requirements were discussed. In conclusion, CPL gave its preliminary opinion on the market’s attractiveness for the client.
Cellulose Market Overview
- Cellulose and cellulose derivatives
- Cellulose properties
- Food and pharmaceutical applications
Microcrystalline and Nanocrystalline cellulose
- MCC pharmaceutical applications and NCC potential applications
- Markets for powdered cellulose, microcrystalline cellulose (MCC) and cellulose ethers
Food and Beverages
- The food ingredients industry
- Cellulose in food and beverages
- Cellulose in low-fat foods: example – VITACEL®
- Cellulose as fibre provider: example – FORTEFIBER™
- Hydrocolloids and other substitutes
- Potential applications
- Use of cellulose in petfood and pet food markets
Pharmaceuticals and Cosmetics
- Cellulose in Pharmaceuticals and Cosmetics
- Product innovations
- Case study – Avicel®
Industrial Applications for Cellulose
Key Success Factors & Barriers to Entry
- SWOT for cellulose powder
- Key success factors
- Barriers to entry
Existing players’ strategies
Pharmaceuticals market entry
Conclusions & Recommendations
Another example of our many projects on cellulose can be found here. You can also search for ‘cellulose’ using the search bar on this site. Please have a look at our PowerPoint Introduction and our Brochure, which also describes deliverables and differentiators. You can also review eight case studies.