In this case study, a global ingredient company study engaged CPL Business Consultants to obtain the evidence required by an ethics committee to conduct a human trial with arabinose. CPL Examined the history of use in Japan and also the evidence presented to obtain regulatory approval. CPL then produced a detailed report to present to its ethics committee.
The project focus was on the Japanese market since it is the only market where products containing arabinose are available. The study sought to answer the following questions:
- For how long has l-arabinose been used in Japan?
- What kind of approval does it have, and also, what basic food approval is needed in Japan?
- What evidence was presented to obtain regulatory approval for arabinose in Japan?
- What kinds of products are sold containing arabinose e.g. in foods and supplements?
- What volumes are sold, and what total volume has been consumed since its introduction?
- Have any adverse effects been reported? For example, has there been any adverse press?
- What additional work has been undertaken in Japan on arabinose?
Additionally, the study sought to find information on the companies which are selling arabinose in Japan and the marketing reception.
Click here for a PDF of the contents of the study or otherwise look below for an outline.
Arabinose Ingredient Use in Japan
- Objective & Method
- Answers to Questions
- Principal Findings
- History of Use in Japan
- Approval of Food Additives in Japan and Evidence for Safe Use
- Companies Manufacturing and Selling the Product
- Products Containing Arabinose in Japan
- Research on Arabinose
L-Arabinose and its Use
- Chemical Structure
- Origin and History of Use
- Japanese Manufacturers
- Products Containing Arabinose
- Evidence for the Safety
- Evidence Presented for Approval in Japan
- Other Evidence
- Adverse Press
- Reported Negative Effects and Restrictions on Use
- Institutes and Organisations
Food Legislation in Japan
- Outline of the Administration of Food Safety
- Relevant Statutes and Related Laws
- Specifications and Standards for Food, Additives, Apparatus, Containers/ Packages, etc.
- Specifications, Standards and Guidelines for the Designation of Food Additives
- Commercial and Distributors
- Academic Contacts
- Government Contacts
Appendix 1 – Additional Information
- Specification Sheets and MSDSs Products
- Prices for Arabinose
Tables & Figures
CPL has also worked on the market for this product and others like raffinose. Have a look at our Introduction and Brochure for a description of our consultancy work; eight case studies can also be reviewed.