In this case study, a sugar company engaged CPL Business Consultants to assist in implementing a diversification and growth strategy by finding suitable acquisition targets. The client went on to make several acquisitions and eventually divested the sugar business.
The objective of this project was to identify acquisition candidates for a sugar company. In an earlier study, CPL reviewed the growth and diversification strategies of a number of other sugar companies. In that study, CPL recommended seven alternative exclusive strategic platforms for consideration. After considering these platforms, we directed the focus on three ingredient types and market sectors.
CPL initially assembled an inclusive list of the companies operating in the three sectors. In addition, we asked a large number of merchant banks and venture capital groups for suggestions from their current portfolios of companies that might be or become available.
- We eliminated clearly unsuitable or unrealistic acquisition candidates.
- CPL screened the remaining companies according to a defined set of criteria, grouped them into categories and ranked them for importance.
- We recommended an action plan with companies to meet and the priority for each one.
We obtained quantitative financial and other data, such as potential availability. CPL also obtained data on markets and market trends within the target ingredient sectors to consider the candidate companies in the context of their market sectors.
Apart from this study on sugar company acquisition targets, CPL has worked on many other acquisition targeting studies, including health ingredients, speciality ingredients and seafood. Click here for a PDF of the contents of the study, or look below for an outline.
Sugar Company Acquisition Candidates
- Objectives and Background
- First Stage
- Second Stage
- Third Stage
- Markets and Trends
- Principal Findings and Conclusions
- Recommendations and Future Actions
- Recommendations and CPL Analysis: Entering the Hydrocolloid/ Texturiser Business
- Market Size and Trends
- Hydrocolloid/Texturiser Characteristics and Applications
- Hydrocolloid/Texturiser Suppliers and Structure of the Business
- Detailed profiles of 26 companies
- Hydrocolloid/Texturiser Tables
- Appendix – Specific Hydrocolloids
Functional and Healthy Ingredients
- Functional Foods and Ingredients
- Consumer Perception of Functional Food/Ingredients
- Functional Ingredients Market Structure
- Over the Counter (Otc) / Dietary Supplements (Vms)
- Functional Ingredients and their Nutritional Effect
- Companies Investigated and the Non Parametric Analysis
- Profiles of 19 companies including:
- Company Structure
- Activities and Products
- Internal Divisions
- Additional Information
- Functional and Healthy Ingredient Tables
- Dried Milk Powders
- Whey, Wpc and Wpi
- Types of Dairy Ingredient
- Dried Milk Powders
- Caseins and Caseinates
- Dry Whey
- Whey Protein Concentrates
- Whey Protein Isolates
- WPI Constituents
- Strategies Adopted by Dairy Companies
- Major Strategic Objectives
- Outline of the Strategies Followed by 9 Major Dairy Players
- Analysis of Dairy Ingredients Companies
- Summary of Analysis and Recommendations
- Non-Parametric Analysis
- 12 detailed company profiles
- Reports from 51 Investment Banks and Venture Capital companies contacted