K0111 Threats to Gelatine Use, Due Diligence Study
Objective and Background
The objective of this study was to assist the client in carrying out their market due diligence in respect of the gelatine market.
Gelatine is an animal derived product competing in the market for hydrocolloids, including plant based hydrocolloids like carrageenan, modified starches, pectins, alginates and blends of these products. Gelatine is used in the food industry, the pharmaceutical industry (mainly hard and soft capsules) and in the photo industry. Especially in the food and pharmaceutical industries there have been many attempts and research to replace the ingredient. This replacement has been driven by BSE, vegetarian and Kosher/Halal issues. Several companies are trying to develop substitutes.
Therefore the most important questions to address to ensure market due diligence were:
1. What are the risks for the industry and how big are these risks?
2. What is the actual status in the industry (especially food and capsules in the food supplement industry) regarding the use of gelatine and gelatine alternatives?
3. What are the developments in the industry and what are the prospects for gelatine?
This study contained the following:
Description of Gelatine
Uses & Substitutes
- Food and Beverages
- Pharmaceuticals and Health Supplements
Consumer Issues and Safety Concerns
Manufacturers of Gelatine Replacers/Substitutes
- Confectionery Manufacturers
Dairy and Desserts Producers
Meat Products Manufacturers
- Gelatine Organisations
Fish Gelatine Opportunity
- AS12 Market Potential for Supercritical CO2 Extraction
- AS03 Natural Food Colour Technologies and Markets
- AU12 Clean Label Emulsifiers
- AW09 Soy Protein Animal Feed Market
- B0904 Vegetable Proteins Industry (Plant-Based Proteins)