In this case study, CPL Business Consultants was engaged by an international ingredients company to identify opportunities in health and nutrition that would contribute to the planning and implementation of a successful and complementary ingredient platform. The work involved the assessment of a broad spectrum of opportunities for ingredients useful in a number of health-related sectors.
Following the initial assessment of a spectrum of ingredient opportunities, we examined the most commercially and strategically relevant in greater depth and detail in with a view to making specific operational plans for development and exploitation.
In general, the types of health and nutrition ingredient opportunities that would have been of most interest are those that fulfilled the following criteria: –
- Capable of integration without long-term investment before profit
- Protectable against the direct competition (including intellectual property [IP] and market)
- Low cost to market
- Quick time to market
- Fit with current ingredient business and health ingredient strategy
We considered opportunities that included the acquisition of IP, joint ventures, licence agreements for technology or regional/sector sale of health and nutrition ingredients in addition to the acquisition of companies (or specific business units).
CPL included all the opportunities identified in the final report.
Identifying health and nutrition opportunities involved contacting academics, research bodies and institutions, food ingredient and biotechnology companies, venture capitalists and banks, amongst other relevant network contacts in the health ingredient industry. In addition, the study used information from within the CPL database and from various public sources.
CPL obtained information from individuals and companies knowledgeable about the health and nutrition markets, products and technologies. We used a combined approach which included email, fax and telephone contact, and face-to-face contact when appropriate. CPL also gathered information to assess opportunities from publicly available data and from our extensive network of contacts.
We collated information regarding potential health and nutrition opportunities and discussed this with the client at an interim meeting. This meeting served as an alternative and useful exercise with an informal ‘round the table’ analysis of the opportunities, selecting some for further action or contact.
Click here for a PDF of the contents of the study, or otherwise, look below for an outline.
Health and Nutrition Ingredient Opportunities
- Scope of the Study
- Conclusions and Recommendations
Health and Nutrition Opportunity Study
- Contact List
- Academic, Government and Technology Transfer Centres
- Biotechnology and Food/Dietary Supplement/Nutritional Ingredient Companies
- Banks and Venture Capitalists
- Opportunity List
- Other Health Ingredients
Health and Nutrition Ingredient Opportunities in Detail
- Current Ingredient Opportunities Offered
- Potential Ingredient Opportunities
Further Information on Selected Health and Nutrition Opportunities
- Banks and Venture Capitalists
- Interested in all Industries
- Specifically Interested in the Ingredient and Food Sectors
- Technology Transfers
- Patent Contacts
- Other Contacts
- Ingredient Opportunities
- Other Health and Nutrition Ingredients
- Markets for Prebiotics and Other Health and Nutrition Ingredients
CPL has considerable experience in opportunity studies, another example can be found here. Have a look at our Introduction and Brochure for a description of our consultancy work. You can also review eight case studies.