In this case study, a European sugar company engaged CPL Business Consultants to analyse the Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), Oligofructose and Inulin markets. We also made strategic recommendations as part of the client’s growth strategy.
CPL characterised the business of fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS) synthesised from sucrose (i.e. using fructosyltransferases), oligofructose from inulin and the inulin itself.
CPL compared FOS with inulin, e.g. by price and functionality and competitiveness as a fat replacer, texturiser, sweetener and prebiotic. We also made specific recommendations on entering the FOS/Inulin business.
Click here for a PDF of the contents of the study or otherwise look below for an outline.
Fructo-oligosaccharides, Oligofructose and Inulin
- Principal findings, e.g. on:
- Players and products
- Market volumes, values and growth
- Market sectors & applications
- End user perceptions
- Conclusions e.g.:
- Comparison of FOS versus inulin
- Strategy for entering the business
Inulin, oligofructose and Fructo-oligosaccharides
- Definitions and History
- Inulin & oligofructosaccharides
- Fructo-oligosaccharide Products
- Inulin & oligofructosaccharide products
- Market volume, value & trends
- Applications, market sectors and end user perception
- Consumer perception of functional food/ingredients
- Supermarket visits
- Production costs
- Relative production costs for FOS and inulin
- Market Observations e.g.:
- The major players & history
- Markets applications and technical functionality of inulin
- FOS market share
- Perspective on the market from an ex distributor
- Patent landscape and analysis
- Industry news and trends
- Inulin/Fructo-oligosaccharides producers/distributors