In this case study, CPL Business Consultants was engaged by a biotechnology company with an antifungal agent which could be potentially used in post-harvest applications in bananas. CPL gave strategic recommendations on approaching this market, ultimately leading to a successful product launch.
Objective and Background
CPL evaluated the market potential for a post-harvest antifungal agent for bananas which could replace or complement existing control systems. CPL looked at the potential volumes of bananas susceptible to post-harvest mould spoilage, the current control methods, and the market potential for this new antifungal product. It also considered the risks from potential alternatives and possible regulatory constraints.
CPL initially conducted desk-based research using in-house databases and publicly available information (published, internet etc.). We then interviewed key contacts within the crop protection industries in North America, Europe and major banana-growing regions to gain additional views and insights.
You can click here to see the contents of the study or look below for an outline.
Antifungal Agent for Bananas
Answers to Specific Questions
- What Percentage of Bananas Produced is Receptive To Moulds?
- Are There Any Moulds That Cause More Problems Than Others?
- How is the mould Problem Dealt with Today, What are the Costs Involved (For Example, per Ton of Bananas), and What are the Advantages / Disadvantages of the Methods Currently Used?
- What Demands Should a Dipping / Coating Meet in Terms of Integration in the Process (During or After Harvest, Convenience, etc.)?
- What is the Customer’s Willingness to use and Pay for a Very Effective Dipping / Coating?
Crop Quantities Susceptible to Crown Rot
Market Size Estimates for Antifungal Agents and Crown Rot Prevention in Bananas
Banana Packing Shed Practices
- 18 contacts
- Recent Advances in the Control of Crown Rot of Banana in the Windward Islands
- Pesticide Use in Banana Crops
- Demethylation Inhibitor (DMI) Management Strategy
Look at our PowerPoint Introduction and Brochure describing deliverables, differentiators and case studies. You can also review eight case studies.