In this case study, an alginate manufacturer engaged CPL Business Consultants support a strategic initiative to valorise seaweed residue as a soil amendment and plant growth stimulant. The client required information on the market dynamics for soil amendments and plant growth stimulants, particularly in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Germany. CPL provided a comprehensive report which also detailed strategic recommendations on how the client should proceed.
CPL’s report was initially based on a variety of public and in-house sources. During this project CPL made over 200 contacts, including over 120 distributors and agents of fertiliser products. This was in order to obtain information about the markets for soil conditioners and to elicit interest in the client’s seaweed-based product. In addition, we identified 116 nurseries/garden centres and contacted around 20 of these. Around 40 golf clubs were also contacted for information on their use of soil conditioning products. Approximately 20 further inquiries were made to hydrocolloid producers, seaweed product companies and others. Additionally, checks were made into retail garden centres.
Seaweed Soil Amendment and Plant Growth Stimulant Market
- The European soil conditioner market
- Soil amendments on the market in the UK
- Algal products on the market in the UK
- Soil amendments
- Algal extract and golf courses
- Soil conditioners
- Waste disposal
Technical and legal background
- Organic fertilisers and growth promoters
- Growing media
- Soil conditioners
- Other bulk organic products
- Natural peat lands
- Forest and farm by-products
- Sewage sludge
- Agro-industrial waste, residues and by-products
- Compost (organic matter) quality
Seaweed products in agriculture and horticulture
- Types and sources
- Uses of processed algae
- Use of unprocessed algae
- Fertilizer properties e.g.
- Soil conditioning and other properties
Processed seaweed products
- Mode of action of algal extracts e.g.
- Abscissic acid
- 1-Aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid
Animal feed e.g.
The use of spent seaweed
- Current research activity
Commercial seaweed soil amendment products
- Calcified products
- Fertiliser companies
- Nursery/garden centre companies
Have a look at our PowerPoint Introduction and Brochure describing deliverables, differentiators and case studies. You can also review Eight case studies.